The Working Group on By-catch, Entanglements and Live strandings (BYCELS) is a standing working group established in 2017. The Working Group provides advice on marine mammal welfare issues related to by-catch, entanglements and live-strandings upon request from Council. Advice should be based on the best available scientific findings, technological developments and traditional knowledge with due consideration to safety requirements for humans.
Terms of Reference govern BYCELS functions. The WG does not meet on a regular basis but meets when called upon by Council and meeting reports can be found here.
BYCELS is comprised of members appointed by the member countries.
Working Group members:
- Signar Petersen, Djóralæknastovan, Faroe Islands
- Ulla Svarrer Wang, Ministry of Fisheries, Faroe Islands
- Masaana Dorph, Ministry of Fisheries, Hunting and Agriculture, Greenland
- Amalie Jessen, Ministry of Fisheries, Hunting and Agriculture, Greenland
- Elin B. Ragnarsdottír, Directorate of Fisheries, Iceland
- Guro Gjelsvik, Directorate of Fisheries, Norway
- Kathrine A. Ryeng, Institue of Marine Reserach
The Faroe Islands holds the Chair, currently represented by: