Council Working Group on By-catch, entanglements and live strandings
The Working Group on By-catch, Entanglements and Live strandings (BYCELS) reports to Council and deals with animal welfare issues.
Terms of Reference:
- The Working Group shall upon request from the Council or individual member countries, provide advice on welfare issues related to by-catch, entanglement, and live strandings, affecting marine mammals. The Working Group shall ensure that such advice is based on the best available scientific findings, technological developments and traditional knowledge, with due consideration given to safety requirements for humans.
- Members of the Working Group may raise specific questions for discussion during meetings of the Working Group. The Working Group may make proposals to the Council for specific tasks to undertake within its terms of reference.
- Non-member governments with observer status in NAMMCO may request advice from the Working Group through the Council.
- The Working Group may seek outside expertise if it considers this necessary and appropriate.
The BYCELS was established in 2017 and held its first meeting in February 2018. You will find all meeting reports here.
Iceland holds the Chair, currently represented by Guðni Magnús Eiríksson, Directorate of Fisheries, Iceland:
Other committee members:
- Signar Petersen, Djóralæknastovan, Faroe Islands
- Ulla Svarrer Wang, Ministry of Fisheries, Faroe Islands
- Ministry of Fisheries, Hunting and Agriculture, Greenland – representative to be announced
- Hild Ynnesdal, Directorate of Fisheries, Norway
- Kathrine A. Ryeng, Institute for Marine Research, Norway